Not sure what career to choose? Contact us
Course Number: 900-5292V01
Does working in the great outdoors in a physically demanding job appeal to you? Enrol in the Statement of Attainment in Chainsaw Operations - Basic Tree Felling and you may have the opportunity to gain employment as a Chainsaw Operator or Tree Feller. This course will give you competency-based training in the safe use of chainsaws for cutting timber and felling basic trees. You will learn to use a chainsaw in a safe and effective way to crosscut, rip, delimb and trim logs and felled trees, and fell trees classified as simple, non-hazardous trees relative to local timber size and distribution. Due to the extremely dangerous nature of chainsaw operations it is recommended that you also complete a recognised First Aid Certificate that complies with industry requirements (i.e. Forestry Corporation of NSW, WorkCover).
Offered on 1 campus
There are no entry requirements for this course.
The completion of a recognised First Aid Certificate that complies with industry requirements (i.e. Forestry Corporation of NSW, WorkCover) is recommended given the extremely dangerous nature of chainsaw operations.
Participants must have a higher level of physical fitness and manual dexterity.
Chainsaw operator, tree feller.
A TAFE NSW Certificate IV or Diploma could give you up 6 to 12 months advanced standing in a university degree and some Advanced Diplomas offer even more credit.
Choosing a TAFE to University Pathway at North Coast TAFE is a great way to get practical ‘job ready’ skills and then gain entry to a university at an advanced stage.
More information can be found on our TAFE 2 uni page on our website.
Why study something again if you already have the skills and knowledge? Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is about helping you get your qualification faster and getting you to where you want to be!
Working with one of our RPL assessors we’ll review your life and work experiences as well as any previous study you may have done to confirm just what we can match up with your current course of study.
Note: Some short, licensing or compliance courses, eg Food Safety for Supervisors or First Aid are not granted RPL as demonstrated competency is required by regulatory authorities.
Find out more about RPL at North Coast TAFE
North Coast TAFE offers a wide choice of courses, some that attract government subsidies and some that do not. The fees payable will vary, depending on your personal circumstances, your study history and the course you choose.
Your government subsidised fee, and your eligibility for concessions, exemptions and scholarships, are all calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
The 2017 subsidised fees indicated on this page are indicative only and based on 2016 fees. The state government may make some small changes to fees and subsidies for 2017 enrolments and we will update our site if and when that happens.
To view accurate fees for your course, please choose your study option below;
You could be eligible for subsidised or reduced fees if this training is subsidised by the NSW Government but eligibility criteria apply. These subsidised and reduced fees, if available, will be displayed below as ‘Subsidised student fee’. For some subsidised courses the subsidy available to eligible students may be in form of a ‘Concession Fee’, ‘Exemption’, or ‘Fee-Free scholarship’ and be displayed accordingly.
If no subsidised fee information is displayed, or you are not eligible to pay the subsidised fee, the full fee would be applicable.
Most costs are included in your course fees. However, there may be some additional items such as textbooks, personal protective equipment, uniforms, or industry equipment, you may need to get to enhance your learning experience or have a safety requirement. Find out more
Easy payment options available! At North Coast TAFE you can choose from a range of easy, flexible payment options to help make completing your dream course a reality.
For many courses, you can choose to pay you course by instalment.
Short courses (from 6 days to up to 10 weeks): 25% deposit required before starting the course with the remaining 75% due half way through.
Most other courses: 25% deposit plus monthly payments due the last business day before the 15th of each month. The number of instalments available, up to a maximum of 12 (3 for concession fees), are calculated on the maximum duration of the course with final payment due 4 weeks prior to the end of the course.
Find out more about the payment plans for courses less than 5 days, more details about fees and financial assistance, and the refund and withdrawals policy.