Financial assistance

Get started

What financial assistance is available?

Apart from our flexible payment options that give you convenient ways to pay your fees there are other types of financial assistance available that may help you reduce the cost of your study. 

Depending on the course you choose to study, you may be able to get financial support through:

If you are not sure about what assistance you can apply for you contact us and we’ll go through the options with you.

Concessions, exemptions and allowances

There are exemptions, concessions or allowances available to eligible students, which may cover all or part of your fees.  Your eligibility depends on your circumstances at the time of enrolment.


A concession (or fee reduction) is available on subsidised courses if, at the time of your enrolment, you meet the eligibility criteria to access a subsidised place and you receive certain Centrelink benefits (see list below):

  • Abstudy
  • Age Pension
  • Austudy including Veterans Children Education Scheme
  • Carer Payment
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
  • Family Tax Benefit Part A (maximum rate)
  • Farm Help Income Support
  • Mature Age Allowance
  • Newstart Allowance
  • Parenting Payment (single)
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Special Benefit
  • Veterans' Affairs Payments
  • Widow Pension including Widow 'B' Pension
  • Wife Pension
  • Youth Allowance

Students who are recognised as a dependent child/spouse/partner of a recipient of an eligible benefit or allowance may also be eligible for the concession fee.

Please note, not all courses offer government subsidised places.
The concession fee payable is different for each level of course as shown below:

Level of course you are completing Concession fee payable
Certificate I course $80
Certificate II course $160
Certificate III course $240
Certificate IV course $240
Diploma No concession
Advanced Diploma No concession
Graduate Certificate No concession
Graduate Diploma No concession


An exemption means you are not required to pay the course fee, but, you may still need to pay any additional costs.

Australian Aboriginals or Torres Strait Islander people
If you are an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person, and are eligible for a subsidised place, you are exempt from paying the course fee.

Students with a disability
If you live and work in NSW and receive a Disability Support Pension, a Veteran’s Affairs Compensation Pension, or are assessed as having a long term condition, injury or disability you may be eligible for one fee exemption per year for a government subsidised place.
If you enrol in any subsequent government subsidised courses in that year you will be eligible for the concession fee.

These exemptions or concessions are only available at the time you enrol.

If you don’t receive a Disability Support Pension from Centrelink but you think you may have a long term condition or a learning difficulty (such as dyslexia, ADHD or ADD) it is worthwhile having a talk to our disability consultants .

By letting us know about your disability (such as deafness or hearing impairment, intellectual disability, physical disability and vision impairment, mental health, autism) or a learning disability or additional learning needs at the time you enrol we can also help you access our specialist support services so that you get the most out of your course.

VET Student Loans

If you are planning to study a Diploma, Advance Diploma, a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, you may be able to access a VET Student Load.

With a VET Student Loan you defer payment of your fees to study now and pay later.

You can complete your course and repay your fees when your income reaches a certain level.

Find out more about VET Student Loans.

Note: VET Student Loans commence on January 1, 2017. They replace the current VET FEE-HELP scheme which will cease on 31 December 2016. Information about the new program is outlined in the fact sheets at

Trade Support loans for Apprentices

You may be able to apply for a Trade Support Loan of up to $20,000, which you can use to assist with the costs of living and learning while you are undertaking your apprenticeship. 

The loans are flexible to meet your needs.  For example, you could apply for six months only to buy your tools, or you could save up your first year’s payments to buy a second-hand vehicle and then opt out of further payments; or you could take the full loan to cover living expenses such as rent, public transport and phone bills throughout your years of training.

To be eligible for Trade support Loan payments, you must:

  • Reside in Australia and be an Australian citizen, or the holder of a permanent visa and 
  • Be undertaking a:
    • Certificate III or IV level qualification that leads to an occupation on the National Skills Needs List; or
    • Certificate II, III or IV level agricultural qualification; or
    • Certificate II, III or IV level horticultural qualification while working in rural or regional Australia; and
  • Meet the eligibility criteria which is assessed by your Australian Apprenticeships Centre (AAC) when you lodge you Trade Support Loans Application Form.

You will have to repay the amount you borrow under a Trade Support loan but will not be charged interest or fees on the loan. It is, however, indexed each year in line with the Consumer Price Index. Repayments are made through the tax system once your income reaches a certain level.

Find out more about Trade Support Loans


You may be able to get help meeting part or all of your course fees and expenses by getting a scholarship. 
Scholarships are available from a variety of sources, such as government departments, individuals or organisations. Each has different eligibility criteria.

To apply for a particular scholarship you need follow the guidelines set down by the organisation offering it.

Find out more about scholarships.

Having difficulty paying?

If you are suffering from financial hardship you can talk to one of our counsellors. 

TAFE Counsellors can assist students with financial matters as well as career planning, study skills, course articulation and credit transfer and personal issues such as managing stress.

Counselling sessions are confidential except where information is governed by Government legislation and professional requirements. 

To arrange an appointment with a TAFE Counsellor contact us.


Chat with us

Please give us some more information to get started.

Leave Customer Help a message

Sorry, live chat is not available at this time. Our office hours are 8am-8pm Monday - Thursday and 8am-5pm on Fridays.
Please leave a note with your email address and we will contact you as soon as we can.